Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Travel by Train


By Eric

We took a train across the North Island for the whole day! (12 hours). There was a place on the train where you could go outside and an observatory at the back. When I was outside I felt like a hobo.

We stopped at National Park for a lunch break and the engine was switched from deisel to electric because the electric engine is more powerful. All of a sudden the engineer asked me if I wanted to go in the engine. There was no steering wheel, just some levers. If the driver takes his hands off the lever for 50 seconds a light will shine in his face (in case he is asleep.) If he doesn't put his hands on the lever in 50 seconds, an alarm will blast. If he still doesn't put his hands on the controls, the train will stop.

I wonder how the driver goes to the washroom?

4 comments:

  1. Great story Eric,nice that you were invited on the engine. Oma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how he goes to the washroom too! Glad you had a great trian rde. I am sure you had fun going to the Enhine. I now Bl;ake would have love it. You will have to tell him all about it when you come home. from Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. gobi baby had a baby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an awesome train ride, Eric. I like the system to keep the engineer awake. I wish they had that for students in my class! They do have it in some cars now. Hope you're still having fun,
    JACKS

    ReplyDelete