Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Our Week on the South Island










By Hannah

We are now on the South Island of New Zealand. We arrived by ferry to Picton and travelled eventually to Nelson. There we stayed in a cute little hotel and went for a swim down at the ocean. The tide was out but on the beach there was a big old saltwater pool. At first I didn't want to go in it, but eventually I did and it was nice. That night we went to the Santa Claus parade. It was weird because there was no snow and there were mermaids on many of the floats.
The next morning we hiked into Abel Tasman National Park, named after a Dutch explorer who discovered New Zealand in 1642. The hikes at the park were amazing! They would lead to beautiful beaches where the sand was so white and the water was so blue. At times it almost looked fake.
After a night staying in an old coal miner's cottage (bach) we arrived at Farewell Spit, the most northern land of the North Island. We hiked to the beach where the sand was blowing so hard it stung our faces and legs. At the beach we saw four or five seals. The first one was very fat and sleeping in a cave on the beach. Here are two photos of the same place from different views in Abel Tasman National Park.










2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics!
    I miss you guys!!! You look like you are having a fantastic trip. I wish I was there with you right now. I am sorry I have not written sooner:( I promise to write more!!!!!
    love Orla xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - looks like a tropical paradise. Except it can't be paradise without the jacks! Sounds like an interesting Santa claus parade - I forgot they have real mermaids in new Zealand. We miss you guys - Christmas won't be the same :(

    ReplyDelete